Saturday, September 19, 2009

It's shrimping time in the low country!

One of the things that I love about being a realtor is the wonderful freedom that you have to control your schedule, spend time with you family and every now and then sneak off in the middle of the day to just plain have some fun! This post falls into that category. For weeks now I have been eagerly anticipating hearing stories that "the shrimp have arrived on the Georgia coast". But alas I have heard nothing!

So yesterday I was on my way to preview a beautiful new listing at The Ford Plantation (652 Silk Hope Drive) which happens to be in the exquisite marina. On arrival at the marina I noticed that the tide was exceptionally high and that water from the Ogeechee River was flooding into Lake Clara at a very high rate. Don't be alarmed, this is a good thing. You see when the water from the river floods into the lake, through the old rice dyke gates; it attracts fish from miles away. They come to feast on the buffet of minnows and shrimp being washed in with the tide. Mmmm I wondered, would it be worth throwing a cast net and seeing if maybe there were any shrimp in the area? Might as well as I always have my shrimp net in the back of my car, just in case!

And the rest is history! On the very first cast I netted about 12 jumbo sized fresh Georgia shrimp (and a three pound largemouth bass). So I stood and cast my net for the next 45 minutes (half way through there was a torrential downpour and I ended up being drenched). It was amazing, I managed to catch about two and a half gallons of fresh shrimp, which we ate for dinner last night (well half of them, the other half are in the freezer waiting for another time).

In addition to the shrimp, I caught and released about a dozen bass, three smallish flounder, two sheep head, a catfish and more ladyfish than I care to count.

It's shrimping time in the low country! Call me and I might show you where a few of my favorite shrimping spots are.


No comments:

Post a Comment